Thursday, August 7, 2014

Setting up my New Classroom: Storage Problem Assessment (Day 6)

On day 4 of my classroom setup I was feeling confident about how I defined each area of my new classroom.  I had a shelf of recess items, a library, a reading area, a math shelf, and stationery.  I'd sorted through all the materials, my own and the ones I "inherited" from the previous first grade teacher, so I knew where everything could or could not fit.  Today's tasks involved using the storage containers to get materials as organized and attractively laid out as possible.  What I couldn't fix will need to be noted so I can shop for better storage solutions.

What you don't see pictured is the mountain of plastic containers that are piled onto 2 groups of 4 student desks.  There are bins of every size and shape.  As a result, I was able to tidy up the sink area pretty well.  I'd like to label the utensils, paper goods, and cleaning supplies once I start laminating, and it could use a little color, but it's not bad for now.


Next I worked on the reading area.  Last time the kidney table was pushed way back.  Adjusting the position of the groups of students' desks freed up more space; the kidney table fits fine now.  I also adjusted the computer desks (some rotating/stacking helped use the space better).  The leveled book baskets need new labels, but the area is organized.


The stationery table is nearly finished.  After the Fundations workshop I attended earlier this week, I got a better sense of the materials involved, and found that two bins of materials should actually be consolidated (one contained boards that belonged in pouches, the pouches were in a separate bin).  The only thing that I'll change tomorrow is the caddies.  I knew I wanted them in this area for ease of access, however the photo is misleading.  Those caddies are hanging off the back of that shelf.  I realized that I can put them on top my mailboxes, which will be on the floor, once we put them together.

The math shelf still looks a little overwhelming, even though in my eyes it makes more sense.  The reason it actually looks a little more cluttered than before is there were a few more large bins of math materials in other areas of the room.  For example, the tens blocks were in two different locations, so now the pile of them is unwieldy.  The baskets I have available won't stack neatly here; I will need to purchase a few shoe boxes with lids to make this section neater, just as I did last summer for my old fourth grade room.

What I was especially proud of today was the fact that by getting more of those math materials onto this shelf, I freed up a set of crate shelving.  I mentioned last time that I wanted a space for math center materials, and realized, this is perfect!  It's open so the kids will be able to get them and not have to look at the whole wooden shelf to find them.  It holds 4 large blue bins that are currently empty, and I can refill each week.  

The bookshelves are one of those areas that I'm a little torn over.  I would so love to get all matching baskets, just like I bought last year.  I would so love to paint those shelves yellow, green, or blue so they don't look dingy.  But part of me is saying, "Devote your energy and summertime to more important things!  Learn curriculum and take time to have some fun!"  So I'm trying to at least save these projects until later while there are bigger fish to fry.  I will, however, update the labels.  Currently they are falling off and peeling.  I found a few redundancies (such as two science bins) so I feel it is a worthwhile thing to make sure they are organized. 

Once again, I let feeling like things are coming together and I have an increasing sense of ownership of this room.  Tomorrow (Friday) I plan on having my husband help me hang bulletin board backgrounds and sort some items (I learned about the letter tile boards in Fundations, and I plan on having him number every board, pouch, and tile, as well as set up the letters correctly.  That will keep him busy!).  I'll put together the mailboxes, go through the last half of the last closet, and start getting the extra containers put away.  I hope to be pretty much finished organizing the "stuff" so that next week I can focus on sorting through the math and ELA files.  The following week will be about printing, laminating, and labeling.  After that meetings will begin so I will just put finishing touches on my room.

I think I can, I think I can.

My Teachers Pay Teachers Store
My Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment