Friday, August 22, 2014

Posters and Purchases (Days 12 to 14)

Last time I wrote about these 3 days but only talked about my library.  I've also been busy with even more printing/cutting/assembling/spending.

Teachers Pay Teachers had sort of a sneaky surprise sale this week.  They had the two day sale earlier this month (crazy having 2 sales in one month, I know!) so I didn't have a ton of things to buy.  I'd wish-listed and shopped carefully and thoroughly last time, since this will be my first year in first grade.  But of course, with 3 weeks between that sale and the start of the year, some things did come up that I wanted.

Amazingly, when I went to search for what I needed, most of it was available for free!  I did buy a cool computer program designed to monitor volume in the classroom (I had tried a free online version that didn't work).

And when I wasn't satisfied with the character education posters available because our school has very specific goals each month, I purchased some clip art from one of my favorite artists, Educasong and made my own (and I love how it turned out).  The blue borders are paper plates.

The hand signals signs I liked best were free, although I ended up revising them so much that they are barely recognizable, hehe.

I had to rely on Google image search so unfortunately I won't be able to sell this version.

Not to mention the fact that the borders are actually paper plates.

This helped me save on ink usage. 

The noise level poster I'd seen on Pinterest turned out to be free.

This was perfect for what I needed.

I'd used a smaller one with a paper clip indicator in fourth grade, but of course in first I needed more graphics to convey the message. 

This birthday chart was free.

I looked at a LOT of charts (there are so many great free ones) but in the end I chose something that was light on color ink consumption.

I also liked this design because I want to put my students' photos in the blank white boxes.  I have "Photo sticky paper" and this seems like the perfect application.

I knew I wanted a lost tooth poster for graphing in math.

Since I didn't find one that I loved, I made my own.

Again, it's low on ink usage, it uses a font consistent with my other bulletin board headers, and I expect it will be easy to color in a tooth every time a student loses one.

I also printed little certificates (not shown) for times when a child loses a tooth in class.

I found free picture directions cards for displaying on the front bulletin board (sorry no photo). I put these on Velcro, Velcroed a ribbon, and strung it along my front white board.  I'm used to writing morning work there for fourth grade, so I figured it was a good way to get them used to looking to the front for what to do when they come in in the morning.

The only things I bought during this sale for instructional content was two math notebook pieces.  They are VERY different in price and content.  Where 4mula Fun's is graphic intensive, Jillian Starr's seems to have higher level thinking questions.  I honestly felt that both were important to use in order to meet a variety of students' needs. 






My Teachers Pay Teachers Store
My Pinterest


No comments:

Post a Comment