Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Classroom Setup: The End is in Sight! (Day 11)


Yes, I think I am finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I am determined to finish classroom setup this week, because teachers officially report back next week.  I really want to use that time to get a better feel for the curriculum.  So here we go!
I created labels for the students' supply bins.  Instead of using the school laminator, I used my little Scotch one.  The pouches are much more durable and smooth than the roll.  As a result, I was able to write on them with dry erase markers.  I know; they'll rub off.  But I figure nothing is set in stone during the first few weeks (/months/year) and I'd like to have the option to switch out materials to a different spot if need be.  For example, you can see there are currently two empty bins (I thought about putting highlighters in one, but does first grade really use highlighters on a regular basis?).  

I love how they turned out!  They have the aqua from my color scheme along with the primary colors of the bins I "inherited." 

The front board is pretty much set!  I have the lunch choices there (I just need names on sticks) along with the bathroom sign-out sheet and hand sanitizer passes (I just need to do the rubber band trick so that the amount squirted is regulated).  The extra worksheets bucket is there with the caddies (which need numbers) and mailboxes (which need names).  The black bins are for lunches (and need labels).  Oops, maybe this area is not quite finished.
The small group reading shelf seems fairly functional.  However, I am considering moving some items over to the library area.  The whisper phones, for example, could go over there.  Maybe the Fundations boards, which are (as far as I can tell) for whole group lessons don't need to be tucked into this nook.  I just worry if they are too heavy to go in the white board easel storage bins.  I have labels made and ready to print for this area, however if I move them to other areas I might need different sizes so I'm holding off.

One happy surprise that worked out today was the cover for my recess shelf.  I bought this tablecloth for $2 last year, and had it tucked away with similar ones, thinking they were all round (and not something I would use in my new room).  When I realized the other day that one was oblong, I measured and sure enough, it just fits!!  Perfect way to hide the overwhelming amount of games used only for indoor recess. 

I sorted the posters today as well, so that small group of desks that had posters on yesterday is now clear.  There were actually fewer than I thought, which was a double edged sword.  On the one hand, it made sorting very quick and easy.  On the other...I HAVE NO ANCHOR CHARTS for 99% of the stuff I need to teach!  That blows my mind; I was the queen of anchor charts last year.  At least I like making them, but wow, do I ever have my work cut out for me.  I'm glad I've invested some time pinning science and social studies content over the past few months. 

The other thing that we worked on today was cleaning the students' desks.  My husband did most of the work, and nearly all the desks are now adhesive/marker free, shiny and new looking.  The room is starting to look ready for children to enter!  I'm starting to feel a little better about the coming year because I've put so much preparation in.  I'm finally starting to feel excited about meeting the little cuties. 

Tomorrow's game plan is to finish cleaning the desks, some sorting (various cards) and more labeling.  I bought some zip ties from Home Depot and tracked down a hole punch (after more effort than I thought) to get them ready.  In the past I just used packing tape, but even with fourth graders it wasn't durable enough so I'm going to give this a try.  The end is in sight; my vision is coming together.  Soon it will be time to sort papers and plan, plan, plan!

My Teachers Pay Teachers Store
My Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment