Friday, August 8, 2014

Classroom Setup: It's Not All Glitz and Glam (Day 7)

Today my goal was hang fabrics for my bulletin boards with my husband's help, get some bins sorted, assemble mailboxes, get containers put away, and sort the last 2 shelves in my closet.

I always underestimate time!  At least we always end up productive that way.

It felt like so little got done that I didn't even want to take photos.  But I didn't want to skip posting because this sort of setback is the reality of classroom setup.  For my readers who are going through what I'm going through, know that it's normal and you are not a failure, haha!

The first thing that we (my husband) got done was to set up the Fundations letter tiles properly.  This.  Took.  Hours.  Note to self: make the kids do it themselves, every day.  I mean...by the end of first grade, with the alphabet printed there for the tiles to be moved onto...they can do that independently, can't they!?  I hope?

I set up the mailboxes in under an hour, pretty easily.  I was proud of this find; it was through Amazon (so free shipping with Prime) and because it had "damaged packaging," I saved about $30.  Then I figured out how to use some sort of points (Discover, maybe?) to get it for free!

I filled the rest of the time by cleaning.  The sink, the heater, one of my shelves; the Magic Eraser was my friend.  Toothpaste too; if you didn't know, it cleans whiteboards perfectly.  Just be sure to use plain paste with no colored gel strip running through (I made this mistake once and it made a mess).  It cleaned the laminated letter tiles as well!

Finally, I did find nice hiding places for the bins I wasn't using.  So there aren't huge upgrades, there isn't much to see for our efforts, but it was stuff that needed to be done.  So although I don't have pretty pictures of color coordinated walls today, I feel a sense of accomplishment. 


My Teachers Pay Teachers Store
My Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment