Thursday, July 31, 2014

Organizing my First Grade Classroom: Defining Spaces and Cohesive Color (Day 4)

On my fourth day of setting up my new first grade classroom, I had a few new ideas in terms of defining spaces.  In my old fourth grade room I had the space to put math manipulatives in the same vicinity as recess games.  However, after putting them all on one shelf in this room, I realized there wasn't room.

So my husband moved all the math materials to their new home, at the rug area.  Now, when we do calendar at the rug, the materials will be right there.

He moved all the recess materials to the shelf opposite the rug area.  I'd rather have my math items and library all right there. My next task will be to get these items organized into more appropriate containers, and hopefully end up with space for math centers.  I'm jealous of those classroom setups that have center materials all organized in shoe boxes.  Sadly, I just don't think this goal is attainable by Labor Day, but I can start thinking in terms of a "go to" space for materials that will be used that day/week. 

He also moved all the stationery to the very front of the room onto the nice low shelf.  It will be hard to miss for anyone coming into the room.  I wanted my mailboxes on this low shelf, but that would mean losing some bulletin board space.  I noticed in kindergarten the mailboxes were on the floor, so I think I'll do the same.  I might move the other materials (such as crayons) closer to it.  I also want to get my group caddies on this shelf.  I don't love having the Fundations pouches in that black container.  I'll have to come back to this.

As you can see, I also started bringing in my classroom colors.  I know, I know, decorating before organizing is like having dessert before finishing my veggies.  But if I feel happy in my classroom I'll relax, and if I relax I'll be more productive.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  My closet doors are a big, colorful blank slate amid what is still an organizational work in progress.  And I love the clip chart from Pink Cat Studio.  Once I get a title for that door I can check that off my to do list.

Now, in the bottom photo, did you notice that the teal is not long enough for the bulletin board?  I fretted over this, and my ever practical husband basically told me get over it and let's think of a solution; what can we hang there instead.  I thought  using a roll of paper there, taking it down and cutting the teal to fit two smaller bulletin boards.  I told him, "I'm just scared that if I cut it, I'll find another scrap that would cover the space and then be annoyed that it all could have fit."  So I decided to pin it up quick and dirty, and hope that as I went through the rest of my things, one more panel would show up.

The final space I've defined is the reading area.  Now, there will be some spill over to the rug area, of course.  But the rest of this space was defined by one thing that could not be moved: the word wall.  It's magnetic; the cards are magnetic, so I'm not messing around with that.  Other than the fact that I printed all new, froggy letter headers for our words!  A little more eye candy for me the kids.  I just stapled them onto the old letters that were already magnetic (I tested one out first to make sure they weren't too heavy).

I've put reading group materials to the right (where the teacher's desk used to be) and leveled books on the left (not shown).  I have to admit, it doesn't all fit perfectly.  That kidney shaped table is a BEAST.  Those computers can't be moved too far.  I think it is workable, but it might need just a little tweaking still. 

So at the end of Day 4, things are not looking very organized.  However, I have pretty well defined spaces for recess items, reading materials, and math materials.  With defined areas, I am starting to get a feel for the "flow" in my room.  Next week I will start fine tuning each area to look less jumbled and the week after I will prepare for what we need specifically for September.  The task of preparing the room feels much less overwhelming.  The prospect of "what (/how)" am I teaching is still looming.

My Teachers Pay Teachers Store
My Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment