Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Alternative to Organizing with Binders


When I got the curriculum overview (in other words, a list of topics) from my new grade level partner, it was clear how the curriculum is organized in first grade.  Compared to fourth, science and social studies strongly relate to each month.  My first step was to create some Pinterest boards so that I could collect all the ideas I was seeing in the blogs I was reading.  Now, two weeks later, my in laws have arrived safe and sound back in England so I'm taking the day to relax.  Tomorrow I'll be going in to start organizing my new classroom, so what could be more relaxing than creating some printables designed to keep me organized (haha).

I know many teachers love binders, however I have been using file folders for a number of years and I will probably never go back.  Young teachers beware.  I know binder covers are cute, and spines look very organized with coordinating inserts.  However, bringing a bag full of books, papers, and binders every day has caused damage to my shoulder that is only going to get better with surgery.  It's. Not. Worth it. 

Besides, you want cute?  I've got cute!


I used the Clipart Kids set from Educasong, one of my favorite TPT clip artists.  Then I created these hanging folder inserts.  Each month has one hanging folder for science and one for social studies.

Next, I created simple file folder tab labels that are color coded to go with each month.  Each topic in our curriculum has a separate file folder.

I even created covers for each hanging file.*  This way I can see at a glance what is coming up each month.  If the folder feels "light," it's off to TPT for some shopping.  In August I just need to make sure September and October are "heavy."  As long as I'm two months ahead, with a general idea of the year as a whole, I think I'll survive my first year.

[Update:  I've made the tabs available in my TPT store!  It's my first product listing as a first grade teacher, so if you like it I'd appreciate the feedback].




Credits:
 *Fonts from Hello Literacy and Amber Thomas, borders from Krista Wallden.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks you for the freebie! I was thinking of switching to binders this year, but I was worried about bringing home binders too. I'll try these tabs; they're very cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! If I can save one teacher's shoulder, that's something. ;)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the free tabs. Will you be making the binder covers into a product too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to share, but I don't know how to turn them into an editable .pdf, and I don't think they'd be useful as a flattened .pdf since everyone's curriculum is different. And I can't just share the Powerpoint because the fonts would be messed up (and I have to follow the TOS of the clip artist and share it as a flattened/secure file). If I ever figure out how to make them editable I will certainly do so! Thanks for your interest!

      Delete
    2. I did it! I figured out how to format this so that I follow the copyright laws (for the clip artists) and still make it editable. It is a Powerpoint, so it has text boxes, but I've flattened the images into the background. Enjoy!

      Delete