Friday, June 20, 2014

Transitioning to do List

I love lists.

When I'm overwhelmed, writing out a to do list helps me get all the noise out of my head.  I can focus on one manageable thing at a time without worry of forgetting the other stuff.  So of course when I found out I'd be moving from fourth to first grade, I started a to do list.  Well, really it's more of a to do packet.

Here are the sections:
  • Decor ideas
  • Current materials (large items such as furniture) I own
  • Current materials I'm "inheriting"
  • Questions for kindergarten teachers
  • Questions for first grade teachers
  • Items to make
  • Materials to purchase (unless I find I've inherited them)
  • Materials to organize
  • Themes (to add to Pinterest and create physical folders for)
  • Online tasks
  • Prep for first day/week
  • Classroom map

And then of course I added in:
  • Class roster (annotated with notes thanks to the kindergarten teachers)
  • Curricula (3 page overviews for each subject)
 It's a good start, just to get my ideas together in one place.  Since I still had 5 weeks to go with my fourth graders when I learned the news, I really wanted to focus on ending the year well with them before I started making new things.  I still have to figure out what to do with the fourth grade materials.  Of course the new fourth grade teacher will inherit a lot of it, but I need to go through a lot of the files to determine what I'm holding onto, what needs to be thrown out, and what I'm leaving.  Although I'll add to it as I go, this to do list will sit on the back burner until July. 

No comments:

Post a Comment