Friday, June 20, 2014

Introductions: Moving From Fourth to First

Hi Everyone,

Although this is a new blog, I'm not new to the blogging world.  I've been blogging in one form or another for over ten years.  This blog is dedicated to my first grade classroom, which I will be starting in September.  However, I'm not new to teaching either.  For 4 years I've taught third grade, and for the past 8 years I've taught fourth grade.  I love teaching this age, and I have a successful blog and Teachers Pay Teachers store all built to help other upper elementary teachers.  Now, I feel as though I'm starting over and it's scary.

I know I'm not the first teacher to be reassigned to a new grade.  And I was moved for the "right reasons;" my administrator needed a strong, veteran teacher at that grade level.  And I'm looking forward to working with my new grade level partner (even though I enjoy working with my current partner too).  But this move still came as a devestating blow to me when I found out 5 weeks ago.

Now that some time has passed and I've been built up again by my husband and colleagues, I've had time to process, and I'm bringing my final year in fourth grade to a close, I feel like it's time to try out this new role, and start calling myself a first grade teacher.

And yet, I'm just not comfortable changing everything (classroom materials, blog, or TPT store) over.  I'm not totally ready to shut the door on my former identity as a fourth grade teacher.  I don't want to confuse my readership or start posting things there that just aren't applicable to them.  So just as I've agreed to leave nearly all my fourth grade materials in my old classroom and start from scratch in my new classroom, I've created this new identity, new blog, and new TPT store.  I'm not sure if and when I'll be ready to create first grade products for TPT.  I feel like I have more to learn than to offer right now.  I really just want to use this identity to start following/commenting on other first grade blogs.  I'll probably be buying more first grade products as opposed to making products to sell for some time to come.

On the other hand, I have realized that maybe I DO have something to offer in the way of blog writing.  Although I may not be creating, I will be trying out products, so I can certainly write product reviews.  I am looking forward to decorating my new room to be similar to my old classroom, but with a younger feel.  And who doesn't love classroom makeover photos?  And most importantly, I've realized, by way of the TPT seller's forum, that I'm not alone when it comes to being forced to transition.  I'm sure next year other teachers will be in this situation too.  So by writing about my experience, I hope I can help others get through it.

So my plan is to stay positive, but "real."  I know I have a lot to learn, and I'll probably make mistakes along the way.  But if you're changing grades, read on.  I'll let you know how I manage and give you advice on what to do, and what not to do.  

Although part of me is still clinging to the idea that I could request a move back to upper elementary in the future, (even if it means transferring to another school in the district) I am really hoping I can make this transition work, and that I find things about this grade level that I love.  As you all know, teaching isn't just a job; it's part of your identity.  You invest so much time, thought, research, and money into your class and I'm planning on doing more of that this coming year than I have in a long time since this year will be so new for me.  So even though I'm not convinced that I'll spend the rest of my career in first grade, wouldn't it be sweet if I found out that I love the littles even more than preparing for MCAS?  (Hah!)  Here's hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment