Wednesday, September 3, 2014

First Few Days of School: Implementation (Little Kid Fun)

My mantra on the first day of school was the same this year as it was my first year.  "Fake it Till You Make It."  I needed the kids to think I was in control, but also that school is fun.  I figured the first day would probably be THE hardest, and it should get better from there; I just needed to make it until the end of the day. 

Between my TPT purchases and tips from my grade level partner, I tried to make the first few days as fun as I could (for them, at least).  If I had to leave fourth to teach first the consolation prize was going to be that I'd get to make some little kids smile.  So here is what I chose to implement.

After they found their coat hooks and desks, Pledge of Allegience, and some seat work (courtesy of my grade level partner) we had Morning Meeting, just as all classes at my school is required to do.  And I got to use my homemade pointers!
I drew heavily from Abbey Mullin's Fun with Firsties Back to School Unit. I had heard of Jitter Juice from my grade level partner, but I did the right thing and bought the whole packet.  I was proud of my first ever first grade chart, but for copyright reasons I can't post it (here's the top line only).  It's an adjustment making u's that way, but that's how we do it in Fundations!


We went on to make the sweet, fruity drink and it was a big hit!


We also read The Night Before First Grade.  They sure do love stories!  I felt at ease reading (I can read upside down so there were no arguments over being unable to see the pictures).
We also played with Magic Playdough (once again, my husband helped me prepare).  The recipe and poem was free from A Cupcake for the Teacher (I've used several of her items this week). Having them keep it in the bag was a wise idea; they loved it just as much and no one's hands got stained.


One of the stories that the kids liked was No, David.  We also did a craft that I found for free!  (It's by Angie Neal).  Although I'm sure a craft like this would be a piece of cake for a veteran, it was a real challenge for me to manage.  So many kids needed so much help with the writing.  Not what I was used to after teaching fourth grade.  I just kept telling myself, "Just do the best you can.  Smile.  They'll be okay if they have to wait a minute.  One kid at a time.  You can do this.  You can do this."  At least I enjoy crafts!  I'll get the hang of it eventually.

 
The display sure was cute.  Getting them to stop whacking the pictures was not so fun.  We did a lot of practicing (going to back to our desks to walk over quietly and sitting).

We also made a list of rules.  It's not pretty, but I'm happy with the content.  In fourth grade I used 2 headings:  Stay Safe and Learn.  The social aspect came under the umbrella of feeling safe.  I figured in first grade that was too much of a reach for them so I separated it out.

The only thing I'm not happy about is that it seems way too text heavy for first grade.  But how do I make it age appropriate?  Add pictures?  And how does that work when involving kids in the rule making process?  I could have printed out illustrated rules ahead of time but they wouldn't have "owned" them then.  Does anyone have tips for me to improve my chart?

Another book that was a big hit was Pete the Cat, Rocking in My School Shoes.  I tried doing a writing prompt.  They needed a lot more support than a chart.  I'm tempted to buy or make one for next year, but I know Pete the Cat is copyrighted so if I make it I can't sell it.




In order to get kids used to where things are in the classroom, we did a scavenger hunt.  I used to do something sort of similar, sort of in reverse in fourth grade (they would go around with a clipboard and describe an object they found in each area).  For the scavenger hunt they each got a square, and had to put a sticky note where they found the picture.  Many got confused and tried to put the card near the object instead. So it didn't go perfectly, but it at least got them up and moving with purpose.  I will have to revisit this sort of activity next time.


We talked about expectations for listening.  I drew inspiration from Erica Bohrer.  I made her mini poster into a full sized chart.  Although I'm far from a Whole Brain Teaching guru, I like the "Class, Yes" attention getter.  And with first graders, I figured they would need a lot of practice getting settled and listening.

When I visited one of the kindergarten classes in May, the teacher asked them to get into listening mode.  They walked to the rug quietly, sat with their hands folded, and closed their eyes.  The other class did not practice this.  So I thought this would be a happy medium.  I let them fold their hands one of two ways (crossed or as pictured) whatever is comfortable for them. 

The first few days weeks were a blur.  But most of the kids seemed happy.  They had no idea how scared I was.  And every day I stayed late getting ready for the next day, went home and got ready for the next day, arrived early to get ready for the day.  I was taking it one day at a time.  It was not easy, but the kids didn't know it.  They were excited to see what came next!

My Teachers Pay Teachers Store
My Pinterest


2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you accomplished a lot for your first few days... I recommend simplifying the class rules:
    1. I will listen to my teacher.
    2. I will follow directions.
    3. I will walk quietly in line.
    4. I will keep hands, feet, and objects to myself.

    We recite these 4 rules every day of the year before beginning our day.
    Our class motto is: Be Kind.
    It is posted over our classroom door.
    You are going to LOVE 1st grade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete