Sunday, November 23, 2014

New Blog Name! Say Hello to LMNOpond!

Hi everyone,

I hope you like the name change!  I've known for some time that I didn't want to go by "Casey Adam's Class" forever.  But I didn't know who I was as a first grade teacher yet.  As a former fourth grade teacher who was moved (unwillingly) to first, I knew that I needed to find my groove first, then come up with a name that felt right later.  Well, after a few months of figuring out what first graders are like and how I'm going to go about teaching them, I was also able to think of a name that feels right.

I knew I wanted a pond theme, but I needed it to stand out.  I didn't want "frogs" because I feel like:
1. There are a handful of other primary grades with frogs and ponds
2. They just aren't my favorite animal.  I like them and all, but I didn't want to JUST be associated with frogs.

I love the alliteration that goes with primary and pond, but someone else has that already too.

I was hesitant to use pond at all for a while because a very popular graphic artist (who specializes in classroom clip art) has "pond" in her name.  But after some time I decided that avoiding pond altogether is a little too extreme.  There had to be a way to make it work without sounding like someone else.

I tried alliterative names and I tried rhyming names, but nothing really jumped out at me.  I wanted to merge the word "pond" with something that said, "I teach primary students."

Then one day I was reading "The Seems."  Yes, I love juvenille fiction (as one would expect from a former fourth grade teacher).  In the book there was mention of a park that I just loved the sound of.  There was something about the cadence of it.  Was it LMNO park?  Was it something like that?  I can't exactly remember, but I thought that's what I needed for a catchy name.  A cadence would sound just as good, if not better than rhyme or alliteration.  And of course letters of the alphabet screams "I work with young children."  The "P" in park is a natural progression after LMNO.  This was the name I was waiting to pop into my head all these months.  It fits.  


My Teachers Pay Teachers Store
My Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment