Monday, July 14, 2014

Cute Pointers for Choral Reading


I've made my first creation for first graders!

When I observed my future first graders a couple months ago, I saw them chorally reading a Morning Message on chart paper.  Both their teachers used pointers instead of their own hands.  One was fairly basic, and one was a gloved hand that reminded me of Mickey Mouse.  I found those on Amazon.


I figured I could get the hands, or I could tie in the fish pond theme that has been resonating with me from the beginning.  What I really wanted was to find pointers with fish, frogs, and turtles.

But I couldn't.

Then I found this idea on A Cupcake for the Teacher.  She went to the craft store and made her own.

Oooh.

Have I mentioned yet that I love art projects?

So I waited for Michaels to have a great 4 hour flash sale, and went through their craft department.

First I looked through the wooden pieces, like Cupcake described, but I didn't find the cute animal figures she got.  I think she used Hobby Lobby, but they're not (to my knowledge) in my part of the country.  Plus I didn't feel confident I could get them to stick to a rounded dowel and stay put with just hot glue. 

Instead I looked through the Creatology felt stickers.  I figured they would be very easy to attach.  Unfortunately all I found was beach themed items.  Now, as much as I love dolphins, starfish, and mermaids, I refuse to mix a beach motif with my pond motif.  I don't want to breed misconceptions in my students' minds about all sea life being in the same ecosystem.  Next I thought MAYBE owls were a good option. 

But I had ideas about featuring Echo Owl for Fundations, so I really wanted to diversify a bit.

So instead I settled on cute zoo creatures.  I got the felt stickers, dowels, googly eyes (yes, I had to find someone who works there and ask, "Where can I find some googly eyes?"  Nevermind; they knew exactly what I meant) and thin ribbon.  Then I got some Model Magic just in case I had the time and drive to create my own pond creatures later on.

I'm pretty happy with how they turned out!

Twisting the ribbon just so took some time (the lion was an early attempt; the fox was where I mastered my technique) but soon the creation process became very relaxing while watching Hulu episodes of MasterChef Junior.  And of course the stickers had eyes already, but I felt the googly eyes added some movement and 3D effects that endeared them to me.  I'm excited about introducing each one to my class the first week of school!

I still have the Model Magic to try, but even if that doesn't work out, I think I'm set for pointers.




No comments:

Post a Comment