Friday, June 27, 2014

Packing Up My Old Classroom

Today was another milestone in my transition from fourth to first grade:  the first day of summer.  Finally I could get down to the serious business of clearing out without explaining to the kids why I was separating materials and labeling them with a different room number.  I could not just get the room packed up for summer cleaning, but organized for myself and the incoming fourth grade teacher.

I brought my husband to help me.  I had talked with the teacher who was taking over my classroom about leaving the furniture and student materials, but I still had all my paperwork and my own organizational materials to go through.  Luckily I have my files folders clearly labeled (other than a hefty "misc" pile to resort when copying piles up on me).  But I also wanted to clearly label each subject area since we were moving our own filing cabinets to our new rooms.

My husband took down the bulletin board fabrics and trim that would go in my new classroom and covered all the shelves to protect them from the cleaning solution/wax.  It was a lot of work, but we made good time.  I'd be taking tomorrow (Friday) to go to my mom's instead of working.  Not only do I have to get my classrooms organized this summer; my in laws are coming from overseas for two weeks in July!  I have my own home to organize (so limited space for storing old fourth grade materials) as well as my mom's.  She has more room so they're staying with her, and I offered to help paint to spruce up the upstairs where they'll be staying.  

It was painful to say goodbye to my fourth grade teammate on Thursday.  He told me he won't be in this summer so it felt very official.  I realized that it was probably the last time I'd see anyone from upstairs again as "one of them."  It seems like the time has come to let go of fourth grade, enjoy some summer time, and then start learning about how to teach first grade. 

No comments:

Post a Comment